News & Events
Why should you prepare for the CAT examination?
- June 4, 2021
- Posted by: elanwp
- Category: MBA Entrance Exam Blogs
The Common Admission Test (CAT) is the largest MBA entrance examination that is conducted in India. It is a computer based test and the exam is a gateway for admission into 20 IIMs and 500+ other top Business schools in the country. The exam was started by IIMs for selecting students for their business administration programs (MBA or PGDM). The exam is conducted every year on a rotational basis by IIMs.
Importance of CAT?
Every year lakhs of candidates appear for the CAT Exam, however, it is equally important to know why this exam is important for any candidate willing to mark his/her career in the domain of management. The most important reason is the participation of all the top institutes of the country such as IIMs, FMS Delhi, MDI Gurgaon, IITs, IMT, IMI among others accept CAT score to grant admission to the MBA aspirants. Candidates cannot seek admission to the top institutes of the country especially the IIMs without CAT score. So it is important to appear for the entrance exam if you want to make a career as an MBA.
Reason to pursue and take CAT:
- The students passing out of premium institutes are picked by reputed companies on hands with lucrative salary packages.
- You will get diversity of jobs, the extent of responsibility and ownership. You were choose from your range of specializations such as Marketing, Advertising, Finance, Strategy, Consulting etc.
- You need an additional degree to grow beyond a certain level in your job. Choosing a career as an MBA is one of the best options for higher education in India.
- Starting a new business as an entrepreneur improves tremendously if you have done an MBA from one of the top ranked B-schools.
- You also get a chance to interact with the best minds in the country where you can brainstorm your ideas and get a better handle on things.
- An MBA definitely provides a better future, plenty of recognition, opportunities to network and credibility too.
- The candidate has to pass their Bachelor’s degree with at least 50% (for General Category and for candidates from the NC-OBC caste) in order to be eligible for the CAT Exam.
- For Differently Abled candidates and SC/ST, the percentage required is 45%.
- The University has to be recognized by the MHRD to be awarded the degree.
- Instead of marking if the University awards grades or CGPA, the conversion factor given by the University has to be used. If the conversion factor is not specified by the University, the CGPA has to be converted into percentage by direct conversion i.e., divide the CGPA received by the highest CGPA possible and multiply the result by 100.
- You need to complete your professional degrees with over 50% and for SC/ST/PwD candidates 45% to be eligible for CAT.
- There is no age limit for appearing the test according to the CAT Exam Eligibility Criteria.
The Exam consist of the following Sections:
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
- Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
How important is CAT exam preparation:
The exam needs an unconventional approach to tackle questions and techniques to manage time. It is one of the toughest MBA exams. CAT requires a qualitative, not quantitative approach. In order to stand out from the crowd you need good trainers. As per my experience Elan Educate is the best online coaching institute with reputed trainers who helps you to shape your future by proper guidance and training.
How to Prepare:
- You need to know the exam pattern and syllabus of CAT in detail.
- Choosing right study material will help you move forward.
- Take online mock tests as you can.
- Anything can be achieved if you join groups. You can form a little study group where you can exchange ideas.
- Education websites, news websites, and social media groups can help you a lot.
There is a tried and tested method – always keep yourself motivated and trust in your abilities. With a go getting outlook and a positive attitude you can crack CAT easily.