1. What is SSC GD?
The SSC GD exam is the General Duty Constable examination conducted annually by the Staff Selection Commission for the recruitment of eligible personnel in various Government departments and Ministries of the country.
The Staff Selection Commission will conduct an open examination for recruitment to the posts of Constable (General Duty) in Border Security Force (BSF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), National Investigation Agency (NIA) and Secretariat Security Force (SSF) and Rifleman (General Duty) in Assam Rifles as per the Recruitment Scheme formulated by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
2. Why SSC GD?
1. Border Security Force (BSF),
2. Central Industrial Security Force (CISF),
3. Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF),
4. Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP),
5. Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB),
6. National Investigation Agency (NIA) and
7. Secretariat Security Force (SSF) and
8. Rifleman (General Duty) in Assam Rifles
3. How to prepare?
Analyze the Detailed Exam Pattern and Complete Syllabus
Before starting your preparation, it is advisable to go through the detailed exam pattern and syllabus of SSC GD Constable Exam. This year the Computer Based Exam (CBE) has replaced the written exam.
Start Your Preparation Early and Build a Study Plan
The next step is to start your preparation at an early stage for clearing all the three phases of the exam. It will ensure that you are able to cover each subject and topic thoroughly and also have some time remaining for revision.
Read Daily to Increase Knowledge
Developing a daily reading habit can help you in many ways during the preparation of the SSC GD Constable Online Exam. Try to read daily to develop a sound understanding of General Knowledge and Current Affairs topics. Read Magazines, Newspapers, Year Books and other relevant content to keep your General Awareness up to date. Always keep check on worldwide and national news of democratic importance.
Practice Previous Year Papers and Mock Tests
Make a habit practicing previous year papers and mock tests to improve your speed and accuracy. Solve previous year papers as there are many questions which are repeated. They can help in identifying important and scoring topics. Regular practice will help in improving time management skills and achieving a high score in the exam.
Keep a Check on your Physical and Medical Fitness
The final selection will be based on the candidate’s performance in all the three phases of SSC GD Constable Exam. Based on the performance in the Online Exam, candidates will be shortlisted for Physical Efficiency Test (PET) and Physical Standard Test (PST) by the Commission.
4. Important materials:
SSC GD Constable Syllabus of General Intelligence & Reasoning
The tests assess a candidate’s analytical aptitude and ability to observe and distinguish patterns. Questions are basically non-verbal types. Questions are asked from the following topics –
- Similarities and differences
- Spatial Visualization
- Spatial Orientation
- Visual Memory
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Figural Classification
- Arithmetic Number Series
- Non- Verbal series
- Coding and Decoding, etc.
SSC GD Constable Syllabus for General Knowledge and General Awareness
Questions in this section are framed to assess a candidate’s general awareness. The test includes the following topics like India and its neighbouring countries especially pertaining to Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Polity, Indian Constitution, and scientific Research etc.
SSC GD Constable Syllabus for Elementary Mathematics
The test include questions from the following topics –
- Number Systems
- Computation of Whole Numbers
- Decimals and Fractions and relationship between Numbers
- Fundamental Arithmetical Operations
- Percentages, Ratio and Proportion
- Averages, Interest, Profit and Loss
- Discount, Mensuration, Time and Distance, Ratio
- Time, Time and Work, etc.
SSC GD Constable Syllabus for English/Hindi
The section assesses a candidate’s ability to understand basic English/Hindi and Comprehension. Questions in these section are basically asked from the following topics –
- Fill in the blanks
- One-word substitution
SSC GD Constable Books
The section-wise best books for SSC GD Constable are given below –
General Intelligence & Reasoning
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Agarwal
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by Kiran Publication
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
- Non-Verbal Reasoning by BS Sijwali & Indu Sijwali
- Shortcuts in reasoning (Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical) for competitive exams by Disha Experts
- Popular Arithmetic Multiple-Choice Questions by RPH Editorial Board
- SSC Mathematics Chapterwise Questions by Rakesh Yadav
- Maths For SSC Constable Exam by Ram Singh Yadav, Yajvender Yadav
- Complete Mathematics (Part-1) by Rishikesh Kumar
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi
- Objective General English by RS Agarwal
- English Grammar Book by Wren and Martin
- Popular English Grammar (with Hindi Explanations)
SSC GD preparation strategy:
How to prepare for SSC GD:
SSC GD exam analysis:
How to prepare for SSC GD physical efficiency test:
How to prepare for SSC GD exam in 10 days:
SSC GD exam pattern:
5. Previous year question papers with answers:
1. SSC GD sample paper1:
6. Important tips:
- Divide the 4 Subjects according to the 4 shifts in a day. E.g., practice Mathematics in the morning, English/Hindi in the afternoon, Reasoning in the evening and General Awareness at night.(this is just an example. you can set your subjects according to your convenience)
- Make a target to study. Finish 1-2 chapters per day per topic. There is a lot to cover in the syllabus, so make your target of study accordingly.
- Avoid any kind of distraction during the exam. Remember that it is a very important test for you and your whole life depends on it. So, try to avoid any kind of external distraction until the exam is over.
- Keep your body and mind fit. Remember, it is not only a test for the mind but also for the body. You need to appear for various fitness tests before you are selected. Thus, try and inculcate at least one outdoor activity in your day to keep your body and mind fit and active.
- You need to practice a lot on the SSC GD Mock Test on a daily basis. Mock tests are a very good mode of practicing and evaluating your preparation level.