1. What is SSC CHSL?
Staff Selection Commission-Combined Higher Secondary Level (SSC CHSL) is a national-level level exam conducted by SSC every year. The exam is conducted to recruit eligible candidates for the below-mentioned posts in various ministries/departments/offices of the Government of India.
Staff Selection Commission or SSC has been one of the most desirable organizations for Government exams in India. Every year thousands of vacancies are filled by SSC in Government departments. Govt. jobs are the most sought after career choice in India. More so, the government is focusing on providing better facilities, services in every aspect of our lives and the development of our country and to do that millions of Jobs will be created in the coming years. SSC is the leading Govt. organization that provides employment to lakhs of students in India. A great opportunity lies ahead for all the SSC aspirants.
2. Why SSC CHSL?
The candidates who cleared the CHSL exam will also receive a number of allowances along with the SSC CHSL Post salary and that makes the job profile more attractive. The Allowances that they receive are such as Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, Travel Allowance and etc.
- The starting salary in SSC CHSL is Rs 26,068 to Rs 35, 576 depending on the post and the city of the selected candidate.
- It is important for candidates to be aware of the SSC CHSl Jobs and salary as this will help candidates better prepare for the exam.
- Salary of lower division clerk and data entry operator is one of the major reasons for the competition.
- As per the SSC CHSL Vacancy List, a total of 4893 vacancies have been released by the commission.
- There are four types of CHSL Job Profiles-Lower Division Clerk, Data Entry Operator, Postal/Sorting Assistants, Court Clerk.
- The Postal/Sorting Assistant receives the highest Grade Pay among the different job profiles and is considered as the best post.
- As per the notification, the SSC CHSL Job Profile and salary vary for each post. The in-hand SSC CHSL job salary of the candidate depends on the place of posting.
3. How to prepare?
- Know the SSC CHSL Syllabus in and out: To score well in the SSC CHSL exam, it is important that you are fully aware of the SSC CHSL Syllabus and the SSC Exam Pattern. A topic and difficulty-wise segregation of different sections of the exam is highly advisable.
- Create a personalized Time Table and Study Plan: While preparing for the SSC CHSL Exam it is important to prepare a study plan which will suit your requirements because an organized schedule will help in outlining a strategic plan of action and set certain learning goals.
- Make notes whenever possible: During your preparation try jotting down notes about important topics whenever possible. These notes will become easy to refer whenever a quick glance is required.
- Brush up your Basics: As an applicant writing the SSC CHSL exam, it is imperative that you be thorough with your basics so that you have a good grasp of the subject that you are studying during your preparation.
- Refer Previous Year’s Paper: The papers of the previous year are a very important cog in your preparation machinery. In addition to getting an idea about the difficulty level in each section, you will also know the weight of different questions. Try to solve as many practice questions as possible so that you are able to answer a particular question during the main exam without wasting much time in solving it.
- Take Mock Tests: Taking SSC CHSL mock tests will definitely help you get a fair understanding about the status of your preparation and highlight your strengths and weaknesses and thus you can work on those areas which need improvement.
- Monthly magazine: – Magazines are the best source of current affairs and general knowledge. Pick a good magazine like Pratiyogita Darpan, etc. and read it accordingly.
- Revision: – Revision is the best thing to remember facts for a longer period. Revise difficult topics daily especially GK as it is forgotten frequently. If you are not good at revision then practice as much as you can.
4. Important materials:
Tier-Wise SSC CHSL Syllabus
Go through the complete tier-wise SSC CHSL syllabus below:
SSC CHSL Tier-I Syllabus
As mentioned above, SSC CHSL tier-I is divided into four parts. Check tier-I syllabus for all parts below:
|SSC CHSL Tier-I Subjects||SSC CHSL Tier-I Topics|
|English Language||Spot the Error, Fill in the Blanks, Synonyms/ Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/Detecting Mis-Spelt Words, Idioms & Phrases, One-Word Substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/Passive Voice of Verbs, Conversion into Direct/Indirect Narration, Shuffling of Sentence Parts, Shuffling of Sentences in a Passage, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage|
|General Intelligence||Semantic Analogy, Symbolic Operations, Symbolic/Number Analogy, Trends, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation, Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/Number Classification, Drawing Inferences, Figural Classification, Punched Hole/Pattern-Folding & Unfolding, Semantic Series, Figural Pattern-Folding and Completion, Number Series, Embedded Figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Social Intelligence, Coding and decoding, Other subtopics, if any Numerical Operations|
Note: This section would include questions on both verbal and non-verbal general intelligence.
|Quantitative Aptitude||Number Systems: Computation of Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship between Numbers|
Fundamental Arithmetical Operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square Roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and Distance, Time and Work
Algebra: Basic Algebraic Identities of School Algebra and Elementary Surds (Simple Problems) and Graphs of Linear Equations
Geometry: Familiarity with Elementary Geometric Figures and Facts: Triangle and its Kinds of Centres, Congruence and Similarity of Triangles, Circle and its Chords, Tangents, Angles Subtended by Chords of a Circle, Common Tangents to Two or More Circles
Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with Triangular or Square Base
Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric Ratios, Complementary Angles, Height and Distances (Simple Problems Only) Standard Identities like sin² 𝜃 + Cos² 𝜃=1 etc.
Statistical Charts: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency Polygon, Bar-Diagram, Pie-Chart
|General Awareness||Questions in this section test the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him/her and its application to the society. Questions also test the candidate’s knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The exam also includes questions related to India and its neighboring countries, especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General policy and scientific research.|
SSC CHSL Tier-II Syllabus
As mentioned above, SSC CHSL tier-II exam requires candidates to write an essay and a letter/application in 200-250 and 150-200 words, respectively. Although the Staff Selection Commission does not prescribe any syllabus for the tier-II exam, some of the common topics on which questions are asked in the paper are:
|Politics||Finance and Economy|
SSC CHSL Tier-III Syllabus
SSC CHSL tier-III is a skill/typing test, which tests the typing/data entry speed of candidates. Similar to tier-II, the Staff Selection Commission does not prescribe any syllabus for the tier-III exam also. In this test, however, candidates are given printed matter, which they have to type on a computer.
Best Books to Prepare for SSC CHSL English language
|Objective General English||S.P Bakshi|
|Quick Learning Objective General English||R.S Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Plinth to Paramount||Neetu Singh|
SSC CHSL Best Books For Mathematics
|Fast Track Objective Arithmetic||Rajesh Verma|
|Quantitative Abilities Arithmetic Ability||Kiran Prakashan|
|Quantitative Aptitude||R.S Aggarwal|
|Arithmetic For General Competition Vol 1 & 2||Neetu Singh|
SSC CHSL Best Books For General Intelligence and Reasoning
|Analytical Reasoning||M.K Pandey|
|Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning||R.S Aggarwal|
|A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical||B.S Sijwali, Indu Sijwali|
Best books for SSC CHSL General Awareness
|General Knowledge||Lucent Publication|
|Manorama Yearbook||Mammen Mathew and Philip Mathew|
|Current Affairs||Monthly Magazine and Newspaper|
How to prepare for SSC CHSL:
How to crack SSC CHSL:
The beginners guide to SSC CHSL:
SSC CHSL exam preparation strategy:
SSC CHSL preparation tips:
Strategy to crack SSC CHSL:
SSC CHSL exam syllabus pattern:
Full strategy to crack SSC CHSL:
5. Previous year question papers with answers:
SSC CHSL 2019 question paper:
SSC CHSL 2016 question paper:
SSC CHSL 2014 question paper:
SSC CHSL sample paper1:
SSC CHSL sample paper2:
SSC CHSL sample paper3:
6. Important tips:
- If you find any particular question difficult, make sure that you don’t waste your time by solving it. Instead, you should move to the next question and if time permits, then only come back to this question later.
- One thing that is crucial is that you have to clear the sectional cut-off as well as the overall cut-off.
- So, if in the Exam, you find any particular section a bit challenging, attempt the minimum number of questions that are required to clear the sectional cut-off of that section.
- Sometimes, the questions can be very tricky. We advise you to read them very carefully before answering.
- In the Exam, avoid using any shortcut that you are not completely sure about.
- Avoid the usage of guesswork in the exam.
- Strictly follow the syllabus:-As per the recent years’ analysis, the candidates should strictly prepare as per the SSC CHSL Syllabus because the question paper will be completely based on the topics given in the syllabus and nothing out of the syllabus will come in the exam paper
- Short Term & Long Term Study Plans:-It is important that the candidates should prepare both short term and long term plans and strictly follow it consistently until the exam is over
- Use Stopwatch to track time:-Use stopwatch to check whether you are finishing the topics on time
- Consistent Revision:-It is evident that the candidates should have made multiple revisions before every tier of the exam. It is important that the candidates should do weekly revisions consistently throughout the preparation
- Solve SSC CHSL Previous year Question Papers:-Students should solve the SSC CHSL Previous Year Question Papers from at least last 5 years as it will provide you with the basic idea on what to expect and whatnot from the upcoming exam
- SSC CHSL Mock Test Series:-Students should solve SSC CHSL Mock Tests in a real exam-like environment that will help the candidates increase their efficiency and speed on the day of the exam. Moreover, it will help the candidates to analyze their mistakes and work on their weaknesses
- Note-Making: Try to make concise notes of whatever topics you complete because concise and crisp notes will make your revision faster and easier before the exam. Add diagrams, images,one-pager notes, graphs to make your topics more retainable in your memory
- Memory Tricks and Techniques:-Use memory Techniques for memorizing General Awareness topics like Wildlife sanctuary names per state, north-flowing rivers, mountain names from geography portion, etc.
- Study Materials:-Please keep your study materials as less as possible. It is better to prepare and revise from one book on a topic than reading and not revising a number of books on the same topic.
- Newspaper Reading:-Ready newspaper and going through the editorials will keep you updated with the current events of national importance(general awareness section) and also help with with the reading comprehension portion in the English Section
To know more about the exam, check the given link: https://elanacademy.net/courses/ssc-chsl/