- What is Spring Boot?
Spring Boot is an open source Java-based framework used to create a micro Service. It is developed by Pivotal Team and is used to build stand-alone and production ready spring applications. This chapter will give you an introduction to Spring Boot and familiarizes you with its basic concepts.
- Why Spring Boot?
You can choose Spring Boot because of the features and benefits it offers as given here −
- It provides a flexible way to configure Java Beans, XML configurations, and Database Transactions.
- It provides a powerful batch processing and manages REST endpoints.
- In Spring Boot, everything is auto configured; no manual configurations are needed.
- It offers annotation-based spring application
- Eases dependency management
- It includes Embedded Servlet Container
Benefits and opportunities:
- It is very easy to develop Spring Based applications with Java or Groovy.
- It reduces lots of development time and increases productivity.
- It avoids writing lots of boilerplate Code, Annotations and XML Configuration.
- It is very easy to integrate Spring Boot Application with its Spring Ecosystem like Spring JDBC, Spring ORM, Spring Data, and Spring Security etc.
- It follows “Opinionated Defaults Configuration” Approach to reduce Developer effort
- It provides Embedded HTTP servers like Tomcat, Jetty etc. to develop and test our web applications very easily.
- It provides CLI (Command Line Interface) tool to develop and test Spring Boot (Java or Groovy) Applications from command prompt very easily and quickly.
- It provides lots of plugins to develop and test Spring Boot Applications very easily using Build Tools like Maven and Gradle
- It provides lots of plugins to work with embedded and in-memory Databases very easily.
- How to prepare for Spring Boot?
- Review the exam objectives
The priority of candidates must be the exam objectives. You need to take a closer look at the syllabus outlined for the spring professional exam. The study guide on the official website of Pivotal is a helpful instrument to learn more about the exam topics. Once you have understood the exam topics, you can chart out a preparation schedule for the exam. You can allocate different periods in your schedule for preparing different topics in the exam.
- Selecting the right training course
The next important step in your preparation journey for spring professional certification is a prolific training course. The recommended source to get a training course for spring professional exam is Pivotal. The “Core Spring” training course is a recommended training course in the exam brief on the official website of Pivotal. The training course is ideal for achieving spring certification and improving knowledge of spring features and its advanced modules.
- Books can help a lot!
Recommended reading materials can also be helpful in your preparation for spring professional exam. The “spring in Action”5th edition is ideally suited for spring v5.0. Another recommended read is the “Pivotal Certified Professional Spring Developer Exam: A Study Guide.” This book has not been updated with spring v5.0. However, you can find many helpful resources relevant to the new version in this book.
- Feel the exam before appearing
Practical experience is mandatory for scoring good marks in the spring professional certification exam. Therefore, you should try a spring v5.0 simulator to practice questions in the real exam like scenarios. Simply put, you should go for practice tests. Even though you may have to pay some more, exam simulators can increase your chances of performing well in the actual exam.
Syllabus for Spring Boot:
- Spring Boot such, as features,
- Maven project
- Starter project wizard
- Spring Initializer
- Dependency management
- Important materials for Spring Boot:
- E-books for Spring Boot:
- Full Stack Development with JHipster
- Videos on Spring Boot:
- Spring Boot tutorials:
- Spring Boot full course:
- Spring Boot tutorials for beginners:
- Spring Boot introduction:
- Sample test papers with answers of Spring Boot:
Spring Boot sample paper:
- Certifications on Spring Boot:
The Spring Professional certification exam is designed to test and validate your understanding of and familiarity with core aspects of spring and Spring Boot such as:
- Configuration, Component-scanning, AOP
- Data access and Transactions
- REST, Spring Security
- Auto-configuration, Actuator, Spring Boot Testing
- Important tips of Spring Boot:
- Spring boot Dev Tools
- Spring boot Dev tools are useful while application development. While writing code every time we should build and run the application again and again to check output but spring boot dev tool provides automatically restart application once the code has been changed.
- Profile-based development
- Let try to understand the problem first, While developing an application we have multiple environments like Development, Staging, production etc. based on our requires those environments have a different-different configuration. For example, each environment has different username and password to connect database.
- Spring boot application database migration
- Application development not only a one-time process. It’s rapid development. Every time deployment process will not be handled by developers or too much technical person. Database schema changes will be performed frequently based on new feature development and modification of existing features so schema changes will be required.
- Spring boot view build information in production or staging
- While application development we are maintaining proper application version in pom.xml and we should maintain it so we can properly identify our build.
- But it possible to identify which build currently running on the production server or staging server. Using endpoints we can check build information in production or staging server. 5. Spring boot running application PID
- For micro service architecture more than one application running on the same server.
- If we want to kill any of service then how we can manage it, If we do not have PID. Spring boot provide write PID in the file while start application6. Spring boot application set default Time zone
- Spring boot disable command line properties option
- Spring boot provides ways to give properties option from the command line but sometimes it may create an issue in sense of security so we can also disable command line properties options so if the user tries to pass options from the command line in this case application will not consider those arguments.
- Spring boot provide packaging application of jar/war
- Spring boot by default generated as .jar file which also contains embedded tomcat. But spring also provides ways to make the bundle of .war file which we can deploy in tomcat manually.
- Spring boot management endpoints for production
- We like to know production server on which our application is running, like current memory, remaining memory, health of service, system or OS configuration we can get so many other information using endpoints. We can also provide security to endpoints so no one can directly access those endpoints without a credential.
- Spring Boot Rest API Documentation
- Developer documents are always required specifically working with the team to improve development productivity. We do not like to write a complete document for all services.